The Baltimore Battle Monument holds a place in American history and stands in honor of those who fought during the War of 1812. As one of the busiest ports during its time, American forces secured the land and sea invasion, defeating British fleets in the harbor and armed land troops. The battle inspired our nation-s anthem song “The Star Spangled Banner’, composed in a poem by Francis Scott Key.
The monument was designed by the French architect, Maximilian Godefroy, who arrived in America after his release from Fort de Bellegarde for his French Revolution involvement, defending the Royalists.Check out this link here. Interpretations of the monument embrace the cenotaph base, representing an honorable tomb, and the eighteen layers signifying the eighteen states at the time of the war. Griffins are placed on each corner, guarding the treasured commemorations, with the names of fallen soldiers inscribed. Topped with a figure wearing the crown of victory, holding a laurel wreath and a ship-s rudder, the City of Baltimore recognizes the Battle Monument-s image as its symbol depicted on the city-s seal.
On the morning of September 13, 1814, the Battle of Baltimore consisted of one thousand soldiers stationed at Fort McHenry, under the command of Major George Armistead and ten thousand land troops. Out numbering the British forces Fort McHenry deliberately sank American merchant ships sitting near the harbor-s entrance. The maneuver created a blockade preventing the passage of British ships into the harbor, defending the city of Baltimore. For the next twenty five hours both sides exchanged fire with bombs and rockets bursting in air, while the British attempted land attacks to the eastern and western sides of the fort. The plan failed as Fort McHenry opened fired ending the battle with British land and sea forces retreating. The following day Fort McHenry raised a newly fabricated American flag, replacing the torn flag, which survived the Battle of Baltimore. On the morning of September 14th, 1814 the British conceded and sent sail for New Orleans.
The tattered flag was given to Major George Armistead, commander of the Fort McHenry and would later become the property of Armistead-s daughter on his death three years later. Georgianna-s son, Eben Appleton would inherit the flag. He later donated the flag to the National Museum as a representation of our country patriotic values and inspiration to our nation-s heritage. The Battle of Baltimore-s flag consists of fifteen stars and fifteen stripes.